Admission is not first-come, first-served. All applications received by the deadline are treated the same.
For the first time ever, you can apply to kindergarten using one application called Kindergarten Connect. Kindergarten Connect is designed to make applying to schools easier, so you can spend more time researching schools, and less time submitting paperwork.
- Online at www.nyc.gov/schools/kindergarten
- Over the phone by calling 718-935-2400
- In person at a Borough Enrollment Office
When you apply, you can list up to 20 schools on your application.
There are just a few items you need to apply:
- Child's name, date of birth
- Your name, address, phone number, and email address (if applicable)
- Information on any siblings who will be in grades K-5 next year, including name, date of birth, current school, grade, and OSIS number.
- Child's current pre-k (if applicable)
- Child's native language (if applying to a dual language program)
- The programs you are applying to, in order of your preference.
Students will automatically be placed on the waitlist for any school ranked higher on the application than the offer received. Schools will contact families on the waitlist directly if they can offer the student a placement. Waitlists will close in mid-October.
For more details about Kindergarten Admissions, including everything you need to know about researching schools, submitting an application, and registering your child, check out the Introduction to the Elementary School Directory. Full Elementary School Directories for each borough and district are linked below.
Download the "Kindergarten 2014-2015" flyer here.
Translated versions of kindergarten publications are available here.